Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Friendship

1st story by Paulo Coelho

Once upon a time there was a poor but very brave man called Ali. He worked for Ammar, a rich old merchant.

One winter’s night Ammar said: “nobody can spend a night like this on top of the mountain without a blanket or food. But you need money, and if you can manage to do that you will receive a great reward. If you don’t, you will work for thirty days without pay”.

Ali answered: “tomorrow I shall do this test”.

But when he left the shop, he saw that a really icy wind was blowing and became scared, so he decided to ask his best friend, Aydi, if it was crazy of him to accept that bet.

After reflecting a while, Aydi answered: “I shall help you. Tomorrow, when you are at the top of the mountain, look ahead. I will be on the top of the mountain next to yours, where I will spend the whole night with a bonfire lit for you. You look at the fire and think about our friendship – that will keep you warm. You will manage, and later on I shall ask you something in return.”

Ali won the test, got the money, and went to his friend’s house: “You told me you wanted some payment.”

Aydi answered: ”Yes, but it isn’t money. Promise that if at any time a cold wind passes through my life, you will light the fire of friendship for me.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I was a little kid, my dad told me a story about a wise man who asked his son to build a house in each country or a place he visits. My dad told me that I should do the same. As a little girl I was thrilled by the idea and started asking questions on the amount of money I need and how I will get it to build a house for me in each country. He stopped me smiling and said, my little girl, a friendship is a solid – warm house that will incubate you through all the seasons of your life.. you have to build a friendship in each place you visit. This was his request and this is what I do.. build a house and sometimes few houses in each country I visit.. wonder how many houses I have now, thanks guys for making me a very wealthy girl :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One summer in Germany, I just started to hang out often with this girl from Mexico (she was exchange student for 1 semester, speak basic German), then she got really sick, got little stones in her kidney and was in great pain she had to stay 1 night in hospital and considering to go home early cos she needed operation. I thought, if I was her how would I feel, in pain, alone far from home? so I picked her up with a good friend, a guy (incase she colapsed), and put her in my room, i slept on the floor, took care of her for 3 days until she felt better, and then she can stay another 2 weeks in Germany to finished up things and during those times we became really close. She was so grateful and even her dad talked to me on the phone to say thanks. The news spread on how kind I was and my nick 'mamita' (cos i like to cook for people) became more popular cos of this. But soon I felt uncomfy, cos i thought it was normal thing to do, there's no way I'd let her alone like that right? and little do they know that a nice German girl took me in to her room for 1 month cos i was broke and i had to leave my room and i haven't found a new one, I almost slept on the street.

I think friendship is the basic of all relationship. So far in my life it is the most beautiful thing. Whatever the type of relationship I have, it all grounded on friendship. Relationship with God, I took God as my super sourceful , 'super knowledge about me' friend. My parents, if I dont have basic friendship with them, I won't have the patience :p Romance is surreal, I think it's needed for procreation, an art to get seducted and get the feeling like Marvin Gaye said 'when i get that feeling I need sexual healing' ...but if there's no friendhip, only physical attraction, it'll end so fast.

Today I'm just musing on how my main source of happiness beside myself (my decisions) is my friendships, especially the intercultural ones, very satisfying :) I dunno how to express my gratitude beside to become a good friend to my friends myself.

"Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Appreciate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is."

- Mary Anne Radmacher

For you all beautiful people who were there during my hard times, who forgave my mistakes, who knows me and love me anyway, thank you for the love also the chances you gave and you still will give for me to love you back, I love you guys :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home